The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group, now in its 15th year, connects 96 of the world’s greatest cities which have committed to tackling climate change. We bring mayors from around the world together to learn from each other in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and creating resilient, sustainable and low carbon cities. C40 cities represent more than 700 million urban citizens and their economies account for 25% of the global GDP. C40’s ‘Deadline 2020’ report sets out the critical role that the world’s major cities have to play in delivering the historic Paris Agreement to prevent catastrophic climate change.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris and individual staff based across 25+ different locations. C40 is primarily funded through the generous support of philanthropic foundations.
The strategic direction of the organization is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
The C40 Communications, Campaigns and Events team is responsible for strategically positioning C40 as one of the world’s most impactful climate organizations by celebrating the ambitious, equitable action underway in C40 cities and establishing our mayors as global leaders and allies to the new climate movement, supporting them to deliver ambitious climate action in their cities and to advocate for global solutions the world needs. Through our global communications, campaigns and events, we aim to shift the narrative and inspire real progress on the greatest challenge humanity is facing today. The team houses campaigns, media, digital, content, and event staff and delivers C40’s Global Youth Initiative programme, a new initiative bringing together the climate strike movement and mayors of the world’s biggest cities.
C40 mayors are committed to and are implementing world-leading, science-based climate policies to respond to the climate emergency, addressing the most significant sources of emissions in cities within this decade. From creating zero emissions zones in city centres, to passing zero carbon building laws or banning single-use plastic and moving towards zero waste, mayors are creating the future we need, now. The Senior Campaigns Manager will work with cities around the world to help them build public support for these ambitious climate actions. The position will be responsible for working with the Urban Movement Building Innovator (UMI) network   to liaise with civil society groups and strategic funders to highlight opportunities and risks where climate policies are under threat or can be pushed forward, securing their support for the ambitious actions C40 mayors are seeking to deliver, and developing and implementing rapid response strategies within C40 where needed. In addition, the position will support knowledge transfer between cities on key campaigns.
The Senior Campaigns Manager will focus on developing projects that build support and alliances for priority city action at the city and regional level, and will support the Head of Campaigns in building global alliances with civil society groups.
● Actively coordinate C40 participation in the UMI project at the programme level, including collaborating with C40 teams and UMI partner organisations on delivering situation analyses, campaign strategies and proposals tackling priority issues and opportunities. This would include developing the following: the evidence base for action; a central strategy; framing and messaging; a network of alliances and partners, and an approach to editorial and creative content and citizen engagement.
● Responsible for working across C40 and with member cities to determine the upcoming key city climate actions, risks and opportunities where building support for mayoral climate action can accelerate our mission.
● Work with the C40 Global Initiatives, Regions and other appropriate teams to deliver campaigns in support of urban climate action, including lead the delivery of rapid response campaigns where required.
● Responsible for liaising with the Urban Movement Incubator (UMI) Fund and network to input into the fund’s strategy and project pipeline, aligning with C40 strategy and opportunities.
● Give strategic input into civil society partner strategies, projects and plans, as appropriate. Act as a point of contact for civil society partners.
● Share best practice city policy solutions with civil society partners, working with C40’s technical teams as appropriate
● Assist and participate in relevant UMI convenings, providing the perspective of C40 member cities.
● Assist in linking ambition between global regions by facilitating knowledge sharing and communications that enhance city-to-city momentum.
● Help movement organisations and UMI partners understand city governmental processes and perspectives
● Engage where appropriate in UMI responsive strategic and communications development.
● Experienced campaign strategist with a proven record of achieving real world change.
● Outstanding proven ability to negotiate complex alliances and relationships.
● Strong experience and understanding of the workings of city governments.
● Proven ability to exercise excellent political judgement in fast-moving situations
● Outstanding ability to communicate persuasively, professionally and clearly with a wide variety of audiences.
● Strong experience at project and matrix team working, including the ability to bring together and lead cross-organisational teams quickly.
● Experience of developing partnerships with key individuals and organisations and managing stakeholder relationships.
● Strong written communication skills, including the ability to present complex information in an engaging way to a variety of target groups.
● Knowledge of current trends in digital communications including online campaigning and digital engagement.
● Intellectual and analytical ability and subject-matter knowledge needed to provide effective, strategic partnership to C40 stakeholders.
● Excellent team player and collaborator with strong relationship management and ambassadorial skills.
● Strong ability to motivate, engage and inspire internally and externally.
● Proven ability to work across different languages, cultures and time zones.
● Line management experience and a track record of encouraging personal and professional development of more junior staff members
Other Requirements: Applicants must already have the right to work in UK. Moderate travel will be required as part of the role
Location: London or New York
Term: Fixed Term - 12 Months
Salary: £49,674 GBP gross per annum, London OR $73,076 USD gross per annum, New York
Interested applicants should submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 8 June 2020
To learn more about the work of C40 and our cities, please visit www.c40.org, follow us on Twitter @c40cities and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/C40Cities. At C40, we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment, where diversity is valued and there is equality of opportunity. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community and would like to request you to complete the recruitment and diversity questionnaire, to help us monitor our recruitment and selection procedures. For how C40 handles your personal information, please review our Privacy Notice – Recruitment.
Your application was submitted successfully.