The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group connects 96 of the world’s largest and most influential cities committed to tackling the climate crisis and leading the way towards a healthier and more sustainable future. Representing 700+ million citizens and one quarter of the global economy, mayors of C40 cities are committed to delivering on the most ambitious goals of the Paris Agreement at the local level, as well as to cleaning the air we breathe.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris and individual staff based across 25+ different locations. C40 is primarily funded through the generous support of philanthropic foundations.
The strategic direction of the organization is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. An eight-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
The C40 Communications and Events team is responsible for strategically positioning C40 as one of the world’s most impactful climate organizations by celebrating the ambitious, equitable action underway in C40 cities and establishing our mayors as global leaders and allies to the new climate movement. Through our global communications, campaigns and events, we aim to shift the narrative and inspire real progress on the greatest challenge humanity is facing today.
The Social Media Officer will play a key role within the Communications & Events Team, and is responsible for taking C40’s presence on social media and other digital platforms to the next level, further strengthening C40 as one of the leading voices in the global climate conversation, and connecting our organization with audiences around the world through existing and new platforms. This person will be responsible for developing, posting and promoting exciting and impactful content related to air quality and C40’s Air Quality Programme, under the narrative of C40’s ongoing #TheFutureWeWant campaign. Our ideal candidate is both creative and very detail-oriented, and brings to the table vision and a solid track record of delivering innovative and high-quality content for social and digital media.
Under the direction of C40’s Digital and Social Media Manager, the candidate will play a leading role in helping to increase the visibility of both C40 as an organization and our cities’ work around air quality, through the effective promotion of C40’s events, achievements and activities on social and digital media, helping to build a strong and engaged brand with an authoritative voice.
● Coordinate C40’s social media calendar, including drafting and scheduling content for delivery on social media across multiple platforms.
● Help to deliver our ongoing #TheFutureWeWant campaign, which promotes an inclusive, resilient, healthy and livable future for all people and the natural world.
● Lead on promoting the work done by C40’s Air Quality Programme on social media; liaise regularly with colleagues on the Air Quality Programme to mine great content and stories from cities taking action on this issue, and create a compelling and cohesive story to tell to our online audiences throughout the year.
● Promote the progress of the C40 Clean Air Cities Declaration to an international audience, and engage with partner organisations to help further
● Responsible for developing multimedia content and finding creative ways to highlight the mayors who have signed on to the Clean Air Cities Declaration
● Help to meet and exceed goals for traffic and audience growth, and community engagement.
● Ensure that C40’s voice across our digital channels is consistent and aligns with C40’s overall mission and the Communications & Events Strategy.
● Write creative and engaging content, keeping a close eye on accuracy and legibility, in order to share across different platforms to different audiences and build C40 as a trusted name.
● Create toolkits for cities, partners and key stakeholders to communicate about C40’s events, announcements and campaigns.
● Cultivate relationships with colleagues across C40, as well external partners, who are engaging in social media campaigns.
● Draft scripts and creative briefings for videos and other multimedia content for social media.
● Work collaboratively with the content and design teams, as well as external freelancers, to ensure the content is informative, exciting, and accurate.
● Work closely with the Digital and Social Media Manager to learn and eventually take on responsibility for our social media and digital marketing tools such as Hootsuite, Radarly, and Mailchimp.
● Undertake regular research and put together monthly reports on the latest best practices for social media, exciting new trends and opportunities to expand our brand to new audiences.
● Monitor community pages and participate in user discussions on digital platforms.
● Produce and disseminate mailings linked to events, key milestones and campaigns; assist the Digital and Social Media Manager to develop a more effective and engaging strategy for regular C40 mailings.
● Help maintain content on C40.org and associated microsites.
● Ad hoc administrative tasks as required.
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in English; Journalism; Marketing; Creative Writing; or other relevant field
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Native English speaker; ability to speak other languages a plus.
● Proven experience in the development and production of creative and engaging social media content.
● A deep understanding of all social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube, and willingness to learn how to deploy stories across various platforms; knowledge of and interest in the use of digital media by different audiences, particularly millennials and Gen Z.
● Knowledge of social media and digital marketing tools such as Hootsuite, Radarly, Mailchimp.
● Strong attention to detail.
● Excellent IT skills -- capacity to learn how to use a content management system and digital platforms.
● Passion for environmental and climate issues; knowledge of global climate action an advantage.
● Excellent multitasking, organisational and time-management skills.
● Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
● Experience working for a global organization across multiple time zones and cultures desirable.
● Basic knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign desirable.
● Ability to travel internationally.
● Applicants must already have the right to work in the United Kingdom. The successful candidate will be required to travel and to work some evenings.
Salary: £34,716 per annum
Term: 12 months
Closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday, 2 April 2020.
To learn more about the work of C40 and our cities, please visit www.c40.org, follow us on Twitter @c40cities and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/C40Cities. At C40, we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment, where diversity is valued and there is equality of opportunity. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community and would like to request you to complete the recruitment and diversity questionnaire, to help us monitor our recruitment and selection procedures. For how C40 handles your personal information, please review our Privacy Notice – Recruitment.
Your application was submitted successfully.