C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in London, with offices in New York, Johannesburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
Our international staff work with the C40 network under the leadership of city governments to deliver this mission. Using a data-driven approach, our team identifies and promotes the exchange of proven programmes and policies developed by cities; provides world-class research, technical expertise and access to key partners to deliver new programmes and policies with cities; and communicates cities’ individual achievements and collective leadership.
C40 is committed to supporting and promoting equity and diversity and creating an inclusive working environment for everyone. We believe that when people with different life experiences are involved in decision-making, we deliver better.
We believe having a diverse workforce ensures we connect better with all the different communities and people affected by the climate crisis. This enables us to make better decisions which lead to better outcomes in the work we do through increased creativity, productivity, greater global impact alongside a broader perspective and approach to our work.
We welcome applicants that are diverse in terms of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective. Our goal is for C40 to be an environment where everyone, from any background, can flourish and can be themselves whilst contributing to our mission. If you identify as a person with a disability, we work to provide reasonable appropriate measures and any additional support needed to provide an equitable working experience. If you are living with a disability, chronic illness or neuro diversity please inform us, to provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.
C40 promotes a work culture where staff can input to improve equity, diversity and inclusion through staff-led groups and formal forums. We know that creating our ideal working environment is a learning process and we are committed to the ongoing effort.
The C40 Communications and Events team is responsible for strategically positioning C40 as one of the world’s most impactful climate organizations by celebrating the ambitious, equitable action underway in C40 cities and establishing our mayors as global leaders of the climate movement. Through our global communications, creative campaigns and events, we aim to shift the narrative and inspire real progress on the greatest challenge humanity is facing today.
The Director of Digital plays a key role within the Communications & Events Team and the wider C40 organization. You will lead on creating, maintaining and consistently optimizing an ambitious digital and social media strategy for C40, in order to take our audience engagement, reach and impact to new heights. This role requires a big picture thinker, with proven ability to identify priority areas and drive a large-scale digital roadmap forward for a complex global organization, while also paying close attention to details to ensure content that gets published on C40’s digital channels is of the highest quality and standards.
● Lead on creating and implementing C40’s digital and social media strategy, ensuring it aligns with the larger C40 Communications strategy and C40’s strategic business plan.
● In close collaboration with the Managing Director of Communications & Events and the leadership team, develop and deliver a digital first approach in select markets for the purpose of increasing C40’s share of voice and maximise audience engagement.
● Oversight and accountability of the main C40 website (c40.org) and various microsites.
● Act as a guardian of C40’s brand identity online, and help keep C40’s online presence free from reputational risk and harm; work closely with Managing Director of Communications and Events and senior leadership when needed on crisis communications.
● Provide direction, mentorship and oversight to the digital and social media team, including oversight of daily and weekly workflow and assignment deadlines, and working with internal departments inside and outside of the Communications team to prioritize and fulfill requests.
● Oversee digital advertising, including analyzing and interpreting paid advertising performance and making thoughtful, high-impact recommendations to take our online presence to the next level.
● Provide data-driven insights to guide our content strategy and maximize audience engagement in order to consistently build C40’s following across platforms.
● Ensure copy for all digital materials and advertising is crafted in C40’s voice and adheres to the style guide; collaborate with the Director of Editorial Content & Creative to ensure consistent branding and messaging on all content that gets published on the C40 website and digital platforms.
● Help ensure that photos, illustrations, videos and other visuals used on C40 digital platforms are accurate, appropriate and relevant.
● Manage budgets and complex project deliverables on a daily basis.
● Act as a strategic consultant to colleagues across C40 on best digital and social media practices; educate the organization where applicable on trends and developments in the digital and social space.
● Work with the Events team on digital events, including leading on C40’s digital strategy and presence for key flagship events such as the 2022 World Mayors Summit and COP27.
● Build and drive an impactful global influencer and C40 ambassador program, and manage influencer relationships.
● Procure and oversee relationships with agencies and freelancers.
● Oversight and coordination of local digital strategies and delivery teams, including the creation and upkeep of regional platforms.
● Stay on top of digital trends and recommend / implement new technologies as they become available, including the development of apps.
● Demonstrable and progressively responsible experience, including extensive working experience in the digital and social media space for a global organization, with proven experience and success in building or growing a successful digital presence for a global organization or company.
● Demonstrable experience managing a small, nimble global team preferred.
● Superior writing and editing skills, with a sharp eye for details and what makes content resonate across digital platforms.
● In-depth expertise with all major social platforms and analytic suites, including knowledge of devising and executing paid advertising and paid creative campaigns.
● Strong ability to translate and present complex information in an engaging way to a variety of target groups.
● Passion for and keen ability to spot digital trends and secure buy-in on new best practices from key stakeholders.
● Experience recruiting and managing influencers and brand ambassadors.
● Proven experience working hands-on with high level international agendas and VIPs.
● Experience managing reputational risk for a global brand, and in dealing with crisis communications.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple competing priorities and deadlines on a daily basis.
● Well-organized and adept at using project management tools such as Slack, Google Docs, and Google Sheets.
● Knowledge of the global climate conversation and key players, including mayors and global thought leaders, a plus.
● Experience working for a global organization across multiple time zones and cultures.
● Proficiency in English is required; ability to speak other languages is a big plus.
● Ability to travel internationally.
Applicants must already have the right to work in their country of residence. International travel will be required as part of the role.
Location: London, Johannesburg, Nairobi, or Rio de Janeiro
Salary: £72,211.24 ZAR 1,562,391.60 KES 8,643,350.63 BRL 328,498.70 (C40 Grade 1)
Closing date for applications is Monday 24 January 2022.
For any queries about the role, please contact careers@C40.org
C40 is an equal opportunities employer.
Your application was submitted successfully.